DEREK ROBERTSON, MAY 2018
The official start of summer may be a few weeks away yet – 21st June to be precise – but an unseasonably warm spring, sunshine, and bright blue skies have seen terraces across London already put to good use.
There’s nothing like eating and drinking in the fresh air, and if you wish to indulge in a spot of al fresco action in the coming months, here are the ten best places to do it.
1. Frank's Cafe (Peckham)The multi-story car park might not be much to look at from the outside, but perched on the top is one of south London’s most popular summer haunts. This cult bar enjoys stunning views over the capital, as is predictably mobbed when the mercury nudges past 20 degrees. Serving meals and snacks, as well as killer Italian cocktails, there a few better places to enjoy a sunset.
Book Now: Frank’s Café (Peckham)
2. The Duke of Edinburgh
One of the biggest beer gardens in London, this spacious terrace situated between Brixton and Clapham North has everything you need for daytime boozing – plenty of seats, a large bar, excellent service, and a BBQ offering homemade burgers and other meaty delights.
Book Now: The Duke Of Edinburgh (Brixton)
3. Coppa Club Tower Bridge Tucked away right next to Tower Bridge, is this super cool space for all day eating, drinking, and unwinding. Alongside a 250-cover restaurant and cosy café, their terrace is one of the places to be seen; south facing, it catches the sun all day, and is decked out with cabanas, “paradise pods”, and palm trees, bringing a touch of the tropical to the Thames.
Book Now: Coppa Club Tower Bridge
4. Neverland (Fulham)A golden beach, palm trees, beach huts, deckchairs, and daybeds; all of this and more can be found right in the heart of London. Where? At Neverland, a Thameside beach spot that’s open all summer long. Offering food trucks, cocktails, and weekend family brunch, this is the perfect spot for burrowing your toes in the sand and pretending you’re in tropical paradise.
Book Now: Neverland (Fulham)
5. Pop-up Terraces by FlorentineNestled in the heart of Waterloo, there’s a special series of pop-up events happening on the rooftop of the Park Plaza hotel starting from the 26th May. Each Saturday, from 2-10pm, a different theme will take over the terrace; “Seaside On The Roof”, “Ibiza Chill Out”, and two weeks of “BBQ & Beats”. Each week will have curated drinks, snacks, and meals alongside DJs to get you in the summer mood. These events will only be happening on 4 selected dates throughout the summer. Book now: Curious Corner by Florentine
6. Sushi Samba
If views are your thing, Sushi samba is the place for you. Situated on the 39th floor of Heron Tower, few bars offer such a giddy experience or spectacular vistas. There’s an indoor bar with floor to ceiling windows, but the place to be is the terrace, next to the tree sculpture that dominates the outside space. Drinks are pricey but great, and if you’re hungry, you can sample the Brazilian-Japanese fusion food the place gets its name from.
Book Now: Sushi Samba (Moorgate)
7. Grand Union (Brixton)A beer garden with a twist, Grand Union is a Thai-inspired garden designed to evoke memories of tropical holidays and summer lounging. It specializes in the unexpected – alongside traditional fixtures such as hammocks and fire pits, you can hire an actual tree hut – and there’s plenty to keep you occupied, with ping pong tables, a huge outdoor projector screen, and even a full size tuk-tuk.
8. Coq D'ArgentClassy, elegant, secluded; this rooftop garden is all this and more. Accessed via a private glass elevator, the immaculate lawns, vines, and ringed walkway offer incredible views of the City and are peppered with small tables for lingering and relaxing. The Bar & Grill has a first class selection of snacks and drinks, and the dinners are to die for – just make sure you book ahead. Book Now: Coq D’Argent (Bank)
9. Busy Rooftop BarFilm buff? Then head to the Bussey and their rooftop film club showing cult classics; think Blade Runner, The Big Lebowski, and Back To The Future. But there’s more to this place than the state-of-the-art wireless headphones and comfy deckchairs; they also host a range of summer parties and events that makes the most of this green rooftop space.
Book Now: Bussey Rooftop Bar (Peckham)
10. Omera CantinaAttached to the music venue of the same name, this tequila bar is modeled on the watering holes commonly found in Central and South America. A thoroughly modern cantina, this is no tacky theme bar; they boast one of the best margaritas in London alongside other tempting Latin flavours and a fine, pergola-decked terrace on which to sip away.
Book Now: Omera Cantina (Southwark)