By LULU LE VAY, JANUARY 2018
Brunches are soooooo last year, didn’t you know? 2018 is all about finger sandwiches and scones washed down with pots of Earl Grey and bottles of fizz. Here’s our guide to the hottest afternoon tea spots in London town.
1. Chino Latin0Affordable top tea action at this modern Pan-Asian Latin bar on the South Bank. Less than £20 will get you a spread that consists of not just the classic scones and jam, but a fusion of sweet and savoury bite-sized treats. Unbutton that belt. You’ll need the room.
2. The SwanThe Swan, also on the South Bank, boasts one of our favourite tea spots which will banish those dreary afternoon blues. Get the Shakespeare experience with the Midsummer Night’s Dream afternoon tea – pastries, scones, sandwiches. Or, for the meat lovers there’s also a choice of beef sliders and scotch eggs. All served on beautiful crockery.
3. Claridges If you want to go full out, then this is the place, but it’s not cheap. £70 will get you a glass of bubbly plus the full spread of classic British sandwiches, pastries and scones, not to mention a mega fancy selection of tarts (not those kind of tarts, silly). The Rolls Royce of afternoon teas
4. St Pancras Renaissance HotelWe love the Gilbert Scott lounge at this magical hotel spot which is full of stunning pillars and gilt-edges. £47 will get you a glass of bubbly, sausage rolls, meringue pies and more… Dazzling.
5. The NedIf you haven’t heard of the Ned then you’d better catch up, quick. Stunning space and stunning food. Head to Millie’s Lounge in this renovated disused Midland Bank building for a cracking selection of scones, cakes and sarnies for £30. Add on a tenner if you fancy a glass of bubbly.
6. B Bakery on a busYes, you heard correctly. Hop on a vintage double decker in Victoria or Trafalgar Square and take in the sights while scoffing down cupcakes, posh sarnies and croque monsieurs. Fantastic for visitors and good value at £45.
7. FarmacyGreat for vegans who don’t want to miss out. Based in Westbourne Grove, Farmacy has created a clean dairy-free afternoon tea which features raw quiche, chilli tacos and apple compote for £35.